Wednesday 2 March 2011

Musings of a Doothcrow (Quote of the day)

Some of you may have noticed, especially if you follow me on twitter or have known me in real life for more than 5 minutes, that I'm a huge X Files fan.

A lesser known fact about me is that Forest Gump is one of my favourite films, so today I found it very amusing when Cancer Man uttered the quote "Life is like a box of chocolates" in episode 4x07 'Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man'.

I then laughed quite a bit when he proceeded to express his take on this simile.

"A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable because all you get back is another box of chocolates. So you're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there' nothing left to eat."

"‎Sure, once in a while there's a peanut-butter cup or an English toffee, but they're gone too fast and the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits filled with hardened jelly and teeth-shattering nuts. If you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is an empty box filled with empty brown paper wrappers."


Personally, I think this explanation holds more weight than "You never know what you're going to get", given that most boxes come with a pamphlet with full ingredients, unless you have a box of "whipped-mint crap", in which case it still normally explains on the box that you will get the same chocolate through out the box.

I also share the cigarette smoking son of a bitches fondness of English toffees, but not the peanut-butter cups. Generally, I'm a huge fan of chocolate and so if that likeness were to correspond with this CSM's life-comparison, that makes me a pretty big fan of life! Go me :) I do however avoid the nuts, but sometimes life just throws them at you and you can only try your best not to choke on them.

Another great quote from this episode was the on-screen notation from Henry IV, Pt. 1, Act 5, Sc. 1;

"For nothing can seem foul to those that win."

Pertaining to those who trample on everyone around them, perhaps without even seeing or looking at the aftermath of their behaviours, I think at some point everyone's probably been witness to actions by someone this quote can be applied to. As much as I'd like to be the winner, I always hope there's a better way to achieve it than Cancer Man did. He might have been the most powerful and dangerous man on earth, but his name won't be printed in any journals. Working in the shadows, destroying those who dare attempt to touch the power he's spent a life time building and conserving.

Don't think I have cause to worry though. "Stupid is as stupid does" as they say and I'd rather be down here than the one spreading foulness upon others for the win.

No comments:

Post a Comment