Friday 15 April 2011

IT & Communications or lack there of

So yesterday, as some of you may have seen on twitter, my computer died :(

This means we most likely won't be able to finish our Doctor Who spoof special in time for Easter next week, but maybe there's something you can do to help?

The PC seemed to be running fine last night, for about 15 minutes, before it totally shut down. Then the fans were spinning and it seemed to be booting itself back up, when I received this message:


So I pressed the restart button, figuring it had got itself confused.

Then I got this message.


The fact that this error message recognised both hard disk drives gives me hope that Lily and Parker are ok (Yes, I name my hard drives).

So, I assumed, as you would think something must have happened to cause the crash, that it's probably the fact I tried to install another 2Gbs of RAM last week. So at this point I checked my connections and removed the 2 1Gb sticks of RAM, leaving me with 2 1Gbs of RAM still in place and have been since it was built by a 17 year old 3 years ago and was running fine for all that time! Yes Duncan, you're amazing. Funny thing is, the only other update I've ever done was installing a 3rd Hard drisk drive, Porter, who died last year. That's when we lost Doothcrow episodes 4 & 5 and all unfilmed or unfinished scripts.

Anyway, I restarted it, down to 2Gbs of RAM and got this message:


And that's it. That's now all I get.

Help me!!!

1 comment:

  1. WE FIXED IT!!!

    ...For now.

    We disconnected Parker (the media drive), allowing Lily (the programs drive) to boot up correctly, however she was very slow. None the less, she succeeded. We then went against all rules and plugged Parker in while it was still running and it kicked in immediately, allowing me to see that all my data is in tact.

    Then we restored the system to its last restore point of 2 days ago, successfully. It then booted correctly with both HDD attached. Hooray!

    Hopefully that's panic over. We never discovered what caused it though, which worries me, but with all the move arounds the computer has been through this week; moving house and changing rooms again after that, maybe it was a twisted cable or something to do with the memroy I installed last week.

    Fingers crossed people!! And the back up drive I bought last week, with every intention of backing everything up, but didn't get round to doing, I shall now be doing!!

    ...After the weekends over. I'm away the weekend so I'm sure it'll sleep soundly until then.

    ReplyDelete